When your new wall art stickers arrive in the post, you may want to get them up on the walls right away. You need to contain your excitement for a little while longer though, as before you can put up your wall stickers, you need to get your walls ready.
To ensure that your stickers adhere smoothly and securely and look their very best, there are a few things you need to do:
1. Clean your walls. You may think your walls are spotless, but it is likely that there is a barely perceptible layer of dust or even grease (especially in the kitchen) on them. This can interfere with the adhesive on your wall stickers. Use some sugar soap or another wall cleaning product to thoroughly clean your walls.
2. Get rid of any obstructions. Even something as small as a nail end, staple, picture hook or a congealed blob of paint can prevent your wall stickers from sticking properly. Get rid of these obstructions before you put your stickers up.
3. Painted your walls recently? Wait at least two weeks before putting wall stickers up, to ensure that the walls have thoroughly dried.
Anyone who has wall stickers put up in their homes will know how easy they are to apply. You don’t need any DIY knowledge or any specialist tools, but you do need to have some idea what you’re doing.
If you’re putting up wall stickers in one of the rooms in your home, make sure you read the supplied instructions very carefully and follow these handy application tips:
• Make sure the wall surface is clean and free of debris. Make sure to remove any dust and dirt, and avoid placing stickers where there are pins, putty and other adhesives used to put up posters, loose bits of paint or bumps in the wallpaper. This will help your stickers adhere better.
• Ensure your stickers are evenly spaced by marking out where you’re going to put them before you start sticking them on. Once you’ve started, it’s too late to plan out the design and may not be able to remove and reposition your stickers.
• Use the supplied squeegee to apply pressure all the way across the design, to ensure it is properly adhered and that all air bubbles are removed.
• Leave your wall stickers alone whilst they dry, avoiding the temptation to adjust, reposition or touch them.
Wall stickers are so easy to use that virtually anyone can tackle the job of applying them to their walls. However, it can still be useful to bear a few important tips in mind, to ensure the best-looking finish possible.
In part 1 of this guide, we looked at the kinds of surfaces wall stickers can and can’t be applied to, as well as the importance of reading the instructions that come with your wall stickers pack. Now let’s look at a few more tips:
• If you have just painted your walls, ensure that they are fully dry before applying wall stickers or they won’t adhere properly. It is always best to leave it a few days extra before putting your stickers up, just to make sure.
• To remove wall stickers, simply apply heat and peel them off. Heat from a hairdryer will soften the adhesive and allow the sticker to be peeled off with virtually no mess left behind.
• Most wall stickers can’t be repositioned once they have been applied and removed. This is why it is important to read all application instructions carefully, so you don’t make a mistake when applying your stickers.